International Development Week (IDW) is an opportunity to explore how Canada and Canadians are making a difference around the world!
For 28 years, IDW has taken place during the first full week of February. This year, it will take place from February 4-10th, 2018 and you are invited to be part of the celebration. The theme, Partners for a Better World, reflects the core values of the work Canadians and Canadian organizations do in international assistance, linking to the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and in support of Canada’s Feminist International Assistance Policy. Visit GAC’s IDW Web page regularly for updates.
Activities for Students and Schools – IDW 2018
Encourage active global citizenship by celebrating International Development Week in your school! The following are some ideas to get you started!
- Watch a video a day: Start each day by watching one of a series of 3 minute videos made by Alberta youth during their trip to Uganda. Download the resource!
- Hold an Awareness Day: Educate your peers about a global issue you are passionate about, and encourage them to take action
- Hear from an Expert: Invite an Alberta-based organization to speak to your class or school. Not sure where to start? Visit our Member page, or contact Leah at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Conduct a Workshop: ACGC has a set of easy-to-run workshops with all materials ready to download and use! Check them out!
- Learn more about the Government of Canada’s Role in International Development: Find out about Canada’s priorities, including a committment to gender equality and empowering women and girls, from Global Affairs Canada.
Classroom Workshops Available in February!
Mark International Development Week by introducing your students to the Sustainable Development Goals! ACGC will conduct interactive classroom workshops, geared for students in Grade 6 – Grade 9!
Morning and afternoon presentation slots are available on the following days and locations:
February 5-7, 12-13th: Edmonton and surrounding areas
February 14th: Calgary
All classrooms who participate will receive a class set of ACGC’s new publication, Together: Alberta’s Notebook for the Global Goals. Read the digital version here!
Contact Leah at email@example.com to book a presentation!
Check out the Events from IDW 2017!
- Download the International Development Week Poster: PDF version or in a PNG Version!
- ACGC Top 30 Under 30 Magazine Launch. Join us for an evening celebrating this year’s Top 30 Under 30 . With special guests from Global Affairs Canada, and UNESCO. Tuesday, February 7th, 5:30-7:30pm. Bow Valley College, Calgary.
- ACGC’s Top 30 Under 30 Magazine: Launched online Feburary 6th! Get a printed copy at our launch or by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org!
- ACGC’s I-Week Youth Day: Friday, February 3rd, 9am-3pm, Telus Center, University of Alberta
- Transitioning to Sustainble Livelihoods: Wednesday, February 1st 1pm. Rutherford Library South 203. Join us as we pilot a new online app which demonstrates the decisions youth in Ghana must make when starting a business! See I-Week Schedule. This project is in partnership with Eqwip Hubs!
Member events at International Week – University of Alberta
- University of Alberta’s International Week 2017: January 30th-February 5th
- Photo Gallery Opening Reception Challenge & Change: A Global Movement Towards Justice Development. Monday, January 30th. 5:00 – 6:50 pm Cameron Library,1st Floor, Science and Technology Library and Peace, University of Alberta. See I-Week Schedule.
- Approaches to Development: Solutions to the Global Water Crisis. Monday, January 30th, 1-1:50pm. Telus Center 131. CAWST. See I-Week Schedule
- Transforming Global Citizenship to a Decolonizing Future. Wednesday, Feb 1st. 12-12:50. CGCER
- Music for a Better World: Thursday, February 2nd, Edmonton. Enjoy melodies from around the world. Free admission, donations appreciated.
- Returning to our as a Peace-building Nation: Thursday, February 2nd, 11-12:20. Telus Center. John Humphrey Center.
- International Education Student Symposium. Friday, Feb 3rd, 8:30am-4:30pm. CGCER
Member International Development Week Events
- Opening Ceremony: International Development Week, University of Calgary, with Guest speaker, Janice Eisenhaur, Canadian Women for Women in Afghanistan
- Grow Hope: A concert with Matt Epp. Friday, February 3rd, 6:30pm, refreshments. 7:15 concert. Calgary, AB. Fundraising concert for MCC’s Grow Hope projects.
- Walking in Partnership Dinner. Fri. Feb 10th. Edmonton. Keynote: Lewis Cardinal. Music: Latin American sounds from Elizabeth Araya and Jamie Calderon. In support of Sombrilla.
- UNESCO-UNEVOC Technical and Vocational Training Workshop: Feb 708. Bow Valley College. Registration open!
- International Development Week: Bow Valley College: Lunch and Learns, climate justice talk, and more!
For more information, contact our 2017 International Development Week Coordinator at email@example.com