Call for Expression of Interest: 2030 Agenda External Advisory Committee
Position type: Volunteer
Application deadline: October 17, 2023
The Government of Canada is launching an expression of interest to join the 2030 Agenda External Advisory Committee (EAC).
The call for expression of interest is open from September 5 to October 17, 2023.
As a member of the EAC, you will provide advice and support the work of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) Unit in implementing the 2030 Agenda in Canada and provide strategic policy advice to the SDG Unit on matters relating to the SDGs.
In support of Canada’s whole-of society approach to achieving the SDGs, the EAC will be composed of 6 to 8 members representing different segments of society, including the private sector, academia/think tanks, civil society organizations, umbrella organizations, Indigenous communities, and youth.
In this committee, you will be expected to meet at least up to three times per year in a virtual setting. Committee members participate on a pro bono basis without remuneration.
What will be your role in the External Advisory Committee?
Ø Your role as an EAC committee member will be to:
– Act as a sounding board and provide views on the implementation of the 2030 Agenda and the advancement of the SDGs, including but not limited to emerging issues or trends, immediate or future challenges or gaps, recommendations, best practices, and lessons learned.
– Contribute whole-of-society perspectives on initiatives to advance the SDGs.
– Build partnerships with multiple stakeholders across different sectors.
– Act as a Champion for the 2030 Agenda and the SDGs within your networks.
Why should you join the External Advisory Committee?
1. Represent the interests of your stakeholder community in the implementation of SDGs.
2. Give back to the community by helping Canada fulfill its commitment to the 2030 Agenda.
3. Gain new perspectives on initiatives to achieve the SDGs that can be applied in your community.
4. Be part of a network by forming connections with Committee members representing different segments of society from across the country.
How to apply
To be considered you:
Ø Must be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident and be over 15 years old on the closing day of the call for interests.
Ø Are expected to have relevant knowledge of the 2030 Agenda and its SDGs.
Ø Must be able to speak about sustainable development issues arising from the perspective of your constituency or segment of society you represent.
The selection process has three stages:
- Interested candidates must fill out the EAC Application Form by end of day on October 17 at 11:59 p.m. EST, by providing examples in 300 words or less that describe your knowledge and experience of the SDGs.
– Link to the EAC Application Form: https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=RljVnoGKRkKs2LGgGr_A0crG3I2tqtpEv6d32O6naBhUMVZWM1M1Uk1BRlNEMVBTQ1NYUlVDQkRPVyQlQCN0PWcu
2. If you move on to the next stage of the selection process, you will be asked to submit a résumé and a reference letter.
3. Selection of final Committee members.
Candidate Evaluation Criteria
You will be asked to demonstrate that you meet the following criteria when filling out your EAC Application Form.
Experience and Expertise on the 2030 Agenda, and knowledge of SDGs and relevant issues relating to sustainable development, such as:
1. Level of expertise and experience in identifying and/or raising awareness on sustainability development goals and issues within a specific community or workplace.
2. Level of experience in contributing to SDG related causes, projects or activities.
3. Level of knowledge and experience related to Canada’s commitment to SDGs and the SDG 2030 Agenda
4. Level of knowledge and experience of issues relating to sustainable development in the specific constituency or segment of society* you represent.
*Note: Segments of society are Private sector, Civil society, Academia, Think tank, Umbrella Organizations, Indigenous Communities, Youth Communities, etc.
The following criteria may be taken into considerations when selecting members:
- Previous experience on committees or other similar groups with different interests and representation as well as your motivation to join the EAC.
In selecting candidates, the following criteria could be taken into considerations:
- Segment of society (Private sector, Civil society, Academia, Think tank, Umbrella Organizations, Indigenous Communities, Youth Communities Other-Specify)
- The Canada’s diversity in terms of linguistics, regional, and employment equity representation.
Given the high volume of applications expected, we will only contact those selected.
Official languages and diversity
The Government is committed to ensuring that committee members take into consideration the desire to achieve gender parity and reflect Canada’s diversity in terms of linguistics, regional, and employment equity representation.
You are therefore encouraged to voluntary self-identify if you are a member of one or more of the following groups: women, 2SLGBTQI+, Indigenous communities, persons with a disability, member of a visible minority and youth communities.
Please note that there is no requirement to provide this information, i.e., provision of this information is voluntary.
To be appointed to this committee:
- Members must comply with the ethical, political activity, and conflict of interest guidelines applicable to Public Office Holders. Members are subject to the Conflict-of-Interest Act.
- A “reliability” security clearance* will be required.
*Security clearance: a background check will be required for final candidates as part of the selection process. Security clearance will include verification by the Canadian Security Intelligence Service and Royal Canadian Mounted Police as well as an open-source check (verification of the comments you have made publicly, such as on social media).
We are committed to providing an inclusive selection process. If you have little or no Internet access, experience barriers submitting your application, or require accommodation during any phase of this process, please contact Programme2030-2030Agenda@canada.gc.ca or call 1-873-455-6089. All information received in relation to accommodations will be kept confidential, and requests will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Any questions about this expression of interest can be sent at: Programme2030-2030Agenda@canada.gc.ca