CanWaCH: Request for Quotations: Consultant to Undertake Research and Analysis on Critical Issues in Global Health and Gender Equality
Position type: Consultancy
Application deadline: November 27, 2023
The Canadian Partnership for Women and Children’s Health (CanWaCH) is currently seeking a consultant to undertake research and analysis in support of the development of publications relating to global health and gender equality programming and policy.
CanWaCH catalyzes Canadian collaboration to deepen effectiveness in improving women’s and children’s health in communities around the world. Our more than 100 members and associates are instrumental in reducing maternal and child mortality, promoting accountability to women, adolescents and children, seeking innovation, generating research and supporting monitoring and evaluation.
2. Project Description and Scope
2.1 The consultant will complete 5 distinct literature reviews and data analyses on diverse topics and prepare an associated written summary for each (including methodologies, results, and bibliographies). These will be used by CanWaCH to support the development of forthcoming publications and content. If a suitable candidate is not available to complete the full scope of work, CanWaCH will consider splitting the contract between multiple consultants.
2.2 The consultant is expected to be familiar with academic and non-academic research, and to demonstrate a high level of critical thinking when reviewing evidence. Among the tools to be used, the consultant is expected to leverage the CanWACH Project Explorer tool – training on the use of this tool will be provided by CanWaCH.
2.3 An anticipated list of high-level topics include:
- Articulating Canadian and global development and humanitarian data processes, platforms, and protocols.
- Climate-conscious global health: funding, programming and policy trends in development and humanitarian contexts.
- Estimating costs and impacts associated with past and prospective investments in sexual and reproductive health and rights, with a focus on the neglected areas.
- Estimating costs and impacts associated with past and prospective investments in sexual and reproductive health and rights, with a focus on humanitarian and fragile contexts.
- Understanding Canada’s multilateral partnerships and funding flows for the purposes of achieving health and equality goals.
2.4 Specific research needs, questions, and output length/style will be refined collaboratively with the consultant, within the broad scope of these 5 topics.
2.5 Any additional research outside of the 5 deliverables above will be discussed with the consultant and may result in an extended contract, if all parties agree.
2.6 The consultant is expected to meet regularly with CanWaCH to discuss progress towards the deliverables and discuss strategy and format of the analysis. If key informant interviews or focus groups are deemed to be required by CanWaCH as part of the research process, CanWaCH will support the consultant through the coordination of logistics for such meetings.
3. Project Timeline
3.1 All work will be completed and submitted to CanWaCH no later than 30 June 2024. Work may be completed earlier depending on the availability of the consultant.
3.2 Detailed schedule (dates to be adjusted pending availability – see below):
- Initial Work Planning, Training, and Scoping Activities: no later than 19 January 2024
- Progress meetings with the consultant and CanWaCH: ongoing. Meetings may take place as deemed appropriate for the contact. At minimum, these should take place once every 2 weeks.
- Articulating Canadian and global development and humanitarian data processes, platforms, and protocols: no later than 9 February 2024
- Climate-conscious global health: funding, programming and policy trends in development and humanitarian contexts: no later than 29 February 2024
- Estimating costs and impacts associated with past and prospective investments in sexual and reproductive health and rights, with a focus on the neglected areas: no later than 30 April 2024
- Estimating costs and impacts associated with past and prospective investments in sexual and reproductive health and rights, with a focus on humanitarian and fragile contexts: no later than 30 April 2024
- Understanding Canada’s multilateral partnerships and funding flows for the purposes of achieving health and equality goals: no later than 30 June 2024
4.1 All quotations must include proposed costs to complete the tasks described in the project description and scope. Please provide the consultant hourly rate and estimated available hours on a weekly or project basis.
4.2 All costs and fees must be clearly described in each quotation. All costs included in the quotation must be all-inclusive to include any outsourced or contracted work, and all applicable taxes. If the consultant submitting a quotation must outsource or contract any work to meet the requirements contained herein, this must be clearly stated in the quotation. Any quotations which call for outsourcing or contracting work must include a name and description of the organizations/individuals being contracted.
5. Bidder Qualifications
The successful Bidder should possess significant research experience in global public health, gender and development, international policy, and/or other relevant disciplines, with demonstrated experience applying gender-based and equity analysis. The ideal consultant will also have experience working with administrative data, nationally representative or weighted data sets, public data, and large demographic and social science data sets, and be highly skilled at quantitative data analysis. A portfolio of relevant work may be requested.
6. Quotation Evaluation Criteria
CanWaCH will evaluate all quotations based on the following criteria:
- Previous work: Bidders will be evaluated on documentation and examples of their work pertaining to the subject matter;
- Value and cost: Bidders will be evaluated on the cost of their quotation based on the work to be performed in accordance with the scope of this project;
- Expertise and experience: Bidders will be evaluated based on descriptions of their expertise (including training) and experience.
7. Submitting a Quotation
7.1 All responses to this RFQ are requested no later than 11:59 PM EDT on Monday, November 27th, 2023.
7.2 The selection decision for the winning bidder and to bidders who were not selected will be made no later than Thursday, December 7, 2023.
7.3 Upon notification, the contract negotiations with the winning bidder will begin immediately. Contract negotiations will be completed no later than Thursday, December 14, 2023.
7.4 Work will begin no later than Monday, January 15, 2024. It may begin earlier pending consultant availability.
7.5 Bidders should submit their quotation to the attention of:
Jessica Ferne, Director, Global Health Impact: firstname.lastname@example.org