CAWST: Global WASH Advisor (Latin America)
Location: Calgary, Alberta
CAWST is a Canadian charity and licensed engineering firm. We address the global need for safe drinking water and sanitation by building local knowledge and skills on household solutions people can implement themselves.
At the heart of everything we do is our belief that when people have their basic water and sanitation needs met, they have the opportunity to succeed. This is what drives our dedicated team to work with a global network of more than 1,500 clients and partners. Together, we have reached more than 16 million people since our inception in 2001.
Collectively, we are making a difference at a scale beyond what any of us could do individually. But our job isn’t done yet and we need you to help us expand our reach.
We are looking for a seasoned and experienced Global WASH Advisor to join our Global Services team at CAWST. In this position, you will focus on bringing your talents as a Global WASH Advisor to deliver high level WASH services in Latin America. This position is based in Calgary, and requires you to be able to work in Canada.
You will work directly with client organizations to increase their capacity to start, strengthen and grow their WASH programs. This is achieved through the creation and delivery of CAWST’s core suite of online, blended and face-to-face training materials focused on improving access to safe water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH). You will be responsible for providing professional technical training and ongoing consulting support to help our clients overcome technical and implementation challenges. You will also work with Training Partners and Organizations to strengthen their capacity development services.
Your Key Responsibilities
Training / Consulting / Mentoring
Use your WASH expertise and experience to train implementing clients to implement and deliver WASH programs and services using various methods including workshops, apprenticing, and mentoring. Your goal will be to develop the capability of WASH practitioners of different skill levels in various roles.
- Prepare and deliver training workshops and learning exchanges
- Adapt CAWST workshops and resources to the context and needs of clients
- Identify opportunities, and develop training, networking, and client support initiatives
- Develop and maintain strong client relationships
- Provide consulting support to help clients solve problems and overcome barriers to implementation. This includes face-to-face, online, and remote consulting via chat services.
Design and Development of engaging and effective learning resources
- Work with subject matter experts to design and adapt virtual, blended, and face-to-face training on a variety of topics related to water, sanitation, hygiene, behaviour change, and instructional design and delivery
- Use Talent, Articulate Storyline, social media platforms, and other technologies and approaches to develop and deliver engaging learning resources that are accessible to audiences with variable levels of internet connectivity
- Support the creation of products that are appropriate for the culture, context, and literacy level of a broad range of adult learners
Measurement / Research / Business Development
- Conduct and support data collection for measuring reach and impact
- Identify knowledge gaps and needs, and support action research activities
- Develop a strong understanding of country contexts, client organizations, and key water and sanitation issues
- Develop relationships with potential funders and manage new and existing relationships in your countries of influence
Developing Capacity of Local Partners
- Work with Training Organizations and Partners to develop their skills and capabilities, so they can replicate CAWST’s capacity development services for client organizations
- Identify new local partner organizations within your region or countries of influence. Develop relationships and explore opportunities to collaborate.
Education and Experience
- Bachelors or graduate degree in engineering, sciences, public health, or other relevant disciplines. Preference will be given to a PEng.
- 7+ years of experience implementing Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene programs, with substantial experience delivering training and capacity development services. Experience in a consulting or advisory role is an asset.
- Significant experience implementing and managing projects is highly desirable.
- Professional fluency in both English and Spanish is required.
- Fluency in Portuguese is an asset.
Desired Skill and Abilities
- Excellent technical knowledge and skills in implementing water, sanitation, and hygiene interventions
- Excellent written and verbal communications; able to engage with different audiences to build rapport and motivate individuals
- Able to create a participatory learning environment using a range of cross-cultural, participatory training and facilitation methods
- Has a “can do” attitude, curiosity, and proactive
- Solutions-oriented; able to use problem-solving skills to work with clients to find solutions to problems and overcome barriers
- Service-oriented; consistently seeks to provide a high level of professional service to clients and colleagues
- Easily and quickly establishes credibility with clients and other stakeholders
- Professional and diplomatic approach; works well independently, within teams, and across teams
- Enjoys international travel, able to work in challenging situations in different cultures, and easily adapts to different contexts
- Highly proficient with MS Office including Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook
Benefits of working at CAWST:
- A meaningful role, making a difference every day for people living without basic water and sanitation
- A workplace culture where collaboration and innovation are fostered
- Rich on-the-job experiences and professional development opportunities
- Strong promotion of work-life balance and flexible work environment
When applying, please include:
- A cover letter that gives an overview of your experience as it applies to this role, and explains why you are excited about joining our team.
- Your resume
CAWST values equitable opportunities, sustainable solutions, and collaborative and inclusive processes. CAWST recognizes and accepts differences in cultural, religious, and political processes and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation, or age.