Writer and Researcher – Canada Summer Job (ACGC)
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Position type: Canada Summer Job
Position Length: 8 weeks
Reports to: Executive Director
Application deadline: May 21, 2023
Canada Summer Jobs – Writer and Researcher
The Alberta Council for Global Cooperation (ACGC) is seeking a qualified individual to join the organization as a writer and researcher, to compile and write the organization’s history and the history of international development and aid sector in Alberta as part of the 50th Anniversary of ACGC.
POSITION TITLE: Writer and Researcher
POSITION TYPE: Canada Summer Jobs. 8 week position.
SALARY: $20.50/hour + MERC
REPORTS TO : Executive Director
LOCATION: Edmonton required, from the ACGC offices
LANGUAGE: English mandatory
APPLICATION DEADLINE: May 21st
TERM: 8 weeks. Possibility of full-time position.
- Organize and analyse historical documents retrieved from the archives
- Work with the provincial archives to retrieve, and analyse additional relevant organizational history, and compile key organizational documents for donation to the archives
- Organize and analyse ACGC’s internal documents to create list of stakeholders that have contributed to the organization over history (ie: organizational members, staff, board of directors)
- Conduct and document interviews with relevant stakeholders to gain further insight into the organization’s history
- Organize and store research findings for future use
- Write and edit the organization’s history, from information compiled through research, creating a longer internal story, and a shorter public-facing story
- Create detailed timeline of the organization’s history as well as the history of international aid and development in Alberta for internal use
- Create and design a succinct public-facing timeline for AGCC’s website and for display as part of the anniversary celebration
Share and Display research
- Plan a strategy for sharing organizational history during the anniversary campaign and celebration event
The ideal candidate will have:
- A minimum of 1 years’ experience (or equivalent) in historical research, writing (including through university courses)
- Strong working English is mandatory;
- Strong writing skills, and attention to detail
- Strong historical research skills
- Strong problem solving skills with an ability to work independently, while seeking clarification where needed;
- Experience using MS Word, Google and Adobe applications, with a strong emphasis on Microsoft Excel for data; experience using virtual webinar (Zoom), team management tools, and stakeholder meeting technology in bilingual settings;
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
Other preferred qualifications:
- Knowledge of, and commitment to, the international development sector in Alberta
ACGC is committed to the prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse. This position will require a police and vulnerable sector check immediately upon hire.
If you are interested in this position but are unsure if you have all of the qualifications or experience, please apply. We are actively seeking someone who is a keen learner and a team player, with a strong commitment to global justice and equity. If this sounds like you or someone you know, please apply or share this opportunity.
Interested applicants must submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com by 21 May 2023. While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.